Today I’m starting my first simple Python program, a Spelling Test application that I hope will allow me to outsource a repetitive and time consuming tiger parenting task.
The program will need to:
- Take in a list of 10 new spelling words each week
- Provide a randomised list of:
- The weeks 10 new spelling words
- 10 words taken from the universe of all input spelling words
- Provide a spoken prompt to spell each word
- Receive the child’s input and assess accuracy
- Stare in cold disappointment should the child make an error
Additional features that would be welcome but not essential
- Provide some sort of reporting on frequency of words tested, most common errors etc
- Be accessible from a tablet
I’ll post back here if and when I complete the project.
I’m learning Python using the excellent if off-puttingly titled ‘Learn Python 3 The Hard Way” by Zed A Shaw. The experience is surprisingly enjoyable and provides a more productive diversion than diving into a pit of increasingly obscure youtube videos or cruising putlockers for Ross Kemp documentaries.
Well it has been a while but finally got round to digging out the log in key and reactivating this long dormant account.
I) I will look upon death or upon a comedy with the same expression of countenance.
II) I will despise riches when I have them as much as when I have them not.
III) I will view all lands as though they belong to me, and my own as though they belonged to all mankind.
IV) Whatever I may possess, I will neither hoard it greedily nor squander it recklessly.
V) I will do nothing because of public opinion, but everything because of conscience.
VI) I will be agreeable with my friends, gentle and mild to my foes: I will grant pardon before I am asked for it, and will meet the wishes of honourable men half-way.
VII) Whenever either Nature demands my breath again, or reason bids me dismiss it, I will quit this life, calling all to witness that I have loved a good conscience, and good pursuits.
Yet another grey and oppressive morning in Hong Kong. I’m relieved it is Friday to be completely frank.